Monday, May 17, 2010

Dolphin or Cheetah?

The two animals above are both very good at what they do. I would have added a 3rd animal who bikes, but (thankfully perhaps) we humans are the only ones who have figured out how to make such contraptions. As you might have also noticed, the animals look very different from one another. So what makes us humans think we can be good at both at the same time?!?

The engineer in me creates an equality:
Water: Fat= more bouancy = less work
Land: Fat= more mass = more work

As a lifelong swimmer, who must transition from a high level of swimming to a high level of triathlon-ing every season, this can be a dilemma. Throw in college with all its stresses, and you're lucky to just stay a dolphin (and not progress to some kind of blue whale). I struggle to find a "happy" weight, one where my body is not sore after running, and where I can still swim at a good clip.

So what is one to do? Answer, I read. I love looking through sports nutrition manuals, but recently I picked up _French Women Don't Get Fat_. I like it. Admittedly, I need to eat quite a bit more than someone who only walks 20 min, three times a week, but the principals are good. Smaller meals, spread out, lot of fruits and veg, a healthy appreciation of pastries, oh c'est magnifique! I shall keep reading, I think body can be very happy with this one.

--Miche

Active things done today: 30 min bike, 30 min dryland training, 2 hr swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment