Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Nearing Races

Finals are always rough, mentally and physically. It's becoming an adjustment week for me; I'm starting my new lab job, learning new dry-land, and weight workouts. But with this transition also comes races.

Nothing beats the "blah" feeling of finals like a good Race.

I travel to South-West Ohio this weekend for my first sprint race of the season. I need a good pick-me-up, and I'm hoping this is just the thing. My first race period did not go as well as planned, it fact, it was a disaster. I do not take full blame: true, I did not have long to train (a mere 7 weeks after the final meet of my swim season), but I had a brand new bike (Lyndsky Ti, an absolute dream) and some solid workouts under my belt. I was brought down by a combination of hills (which are hard to come by where I'm from) and cold (mostly this factor). I had trained in expectation of hills, but for someone who does not have the natural body-fat to deal with cold... Well, does hypothermia mean anything to you? Suffice to say, I spent a lot of time in front of the blast heater after I dragged my frozen self over the finish line. I don't think anyone on my team ever wants to go back to Lubbock, TX.

5 Days till race!

--Miche

Active things done today: 2hr swimming, 2hr weights (1 hr worth of work, rest was orientation of sorts)

No comments:

Post a Comment